Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tradition

When Alan and I were engaged we bought a house together to be built that was supposed to finish around the time we were getting married. Of course the house finished early, before we got married, so instead of the house sitting Alan moved in since he was living in his apartment paying rent. When Christmas time came around Alan and I got our first Christmas tree in "our" house and bought our first ornament together and somehow a tradition was born with us and each year since then we've bought one special ornament that reminds us of something we always want to remember for that year.
2005-Our first Christmas in "our" home!

2006-By the time our second Christmas came around we had already sold and bought a new home and move in, unfortunately our two Labs got out the side gate and were hit by a car. Our family knew how important and missed our pups were and pulled money together to get us our current puppy Luke. We got this ornament to remind us of the love our family holds for one another.2007-We had the opportunity to travel around Europe to Germany, Austria, Italy, Paris and London and we bought this ornament in our most favorite place. Our plan is to retire there one day. :) Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
2008-Before Nursing School started we took a Cruise to Alaska and Canada, which was my first cruise.

2009-All the ornaments are special and carry memories but this years is the best, our son's ornament, my favorite year of all.

2 comments:

Megan said...

My Grandma did that for us when we were kids -every year a new ornament that represented something from that year - I have a car for when I got my license, etc. Everytime I decorate my tree, I can remember all the events from each ornament. My mom gives my kids an ornament each year, but they don't necessarily have a meaning from that year, so I'm thinking I might start the tradition with my kids. Like I should have got Katie a ballerina this year! Or a train from the Polar Express for all of them.

I love your ornaments - its such a fun tradition!

Lindsay said...

So cute Alice! I want to do something like that now! So fun!!!